“… and we will discuss your affairs this very afternoon, over a Christmas bowl of smoking bishop, Bob!” – A Christmas Carol
- 5 unpeeled oranges
- 1 large unpeeled grapefruit
- 1/4 lb sugar (a slightly rounded 1/2 cup)
- 36 cloves
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 750 ml bottles red wine (pinot noir or meritage are fine)
- 1 750 ml bottle ruby port wine
- Wash the fruit and bake in a roasting pan at 350F for about 45 minutes, turning once.
- Heat a large earthenware bowl* and add the fruit and cinnamon sticks. Stud each fruit with 6 whole cloves.
- Add the sugar and the red wine, and store covered in a warm place for about a day.
- Squeeze the fruit through a sieve into a vessel you can heat the wine in, such as a sauce pan or a crockpot.
- Add the port and warm thoroughly, but be sure not to boil.
- Serve in warmed glasses
- One variation that is very warming and cheery is the addition of a bit of cognac. I would suggest a cup of cognac for this amount of wine.
*If you don’t have an earthenware bowl, just use a stock pot with a lid. Bring the mixture to a simmer and then set the lidded stock pot with fruit and wine mixture into a warm oven that has been turned off.