“These are the cookies I remember my grandma making for me every Christmas. They are crisp and deliciously spicy, and are a great dunking cookie! They go especially well with coffee.”
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 2 cups AP flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar for decorating
- In a stand mixer cream together the 1 cup of sugar and the butter until smooth. Mix in the molasses and egg until well combined.
- In another bowl, sift together the other ingredients except for the 1/2 cup of sugar. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet in three installments. Make sure they are well incorporated between additions. this should form a sticky dough. Turn out into a clean bowl and cover with plastic wrap or wax paper. Chill for about two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Form the dough into one inch balls and dip into sugar to decorate. Place on a cookie sheet, sugar side up, about three inches apart. Bake for 11 minutes, remove from the oven after checking for doneness. Allow to rest on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Or you can do like Grandma did and place about four thicknesses of newspaper on a counter and then wax paper over that to line those cookies up on.