This relish works well with roasted chicken, turkey or even a baked ham. It is a Christmas and Thanksgiving staple in our house.
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 5 cups fresh cranberries, washed and sorted
- ¼ cups Grand Marnier
- ½ cup bourbon
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 Tbs minced ginger root
- 1 Tbs grated orange zest
- ½ cup toasted pecans, chopped
- ¼ tsp (scant) ground cloves
- ¼ tsp (scant) cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (scant) nutmeg (Or a pinch of fresh ground nutmeg)
- Bring the sugar, Grand Marnier, bourbon, ginger and orange juice to the boil in a sauce pan over medium high heat.
- When the sugar has dissolved, stir in the cranberries, and cook until they pop, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the orange zest, pecans, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg, and cook for and additional 5 minutes over medium to medium low heat.
- Pour into a bowl and refrigerate several hours until cold.
- If not enough of the cranberries burst open for your liking, you can mash them a bit with a spatula for a less chunky relish.